Thursday, July 06, 2006

No Gaza Guarantee

That Gaza withdrawal doesn't seem to be working out too well, does it?
Israeli troops and Palestinian militants waged their most intense battles today since Israel re-entered the Gaza Strip last week to secure the release of a captured soldier and stop rocket fire into Israel.

At least 12 Palestinians and one Israeli soldier were killed in sometimes fierce fighting involving shootouts, artillery fire and airstrikes. Most of the deaths were in northern Gaza, although two Palestinian militants were killed in southern Gaza.
In fact, Israeli defense minister Amir Peretz said of the Gaza pullout,
no one should see that as a guarantee that we cannot reach territory in which we feel we have no choice but to operate.
This maybe news to Peretz, but no one did. At least, no one paying any attention to this situation.

I have been holding off on posting about this insanity, waiting to see just what was going to come of this. It was clear from the start that nothing good would result from this incredibly ill-advised move by the Israelis. Now that much is obvious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Bhc,

I've gone the opposite from you. I was all over it like a rash and now find it so depressing that I've decided not to say anymore about it until there is some form of resolution.

It's such insane behaviour for a state to kidnap another territories cabinet that I am speechless.

However, I decided to stop talking about it for a while because I am so aware that one could be falsely labelled anti-Semitic for continually going on about it.

My point remains, how do they ever get out of there if Mr Shalit is not returned alive?

And just why is Bush being so silent about this? It's simply insane.

9:05 AM  
Blogger theBhc said...

Of course, I can't agree more.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am currently working on an essay about the dynamics of debate surrounding Israel, charges of anti-Semitism, and how those charges are modeled on McCarthyism. My hope is that the paper will serve as a ready-made rebuke-in-the-wings for all those who would attack Israel critics and such. That way, we can all talk openly and honestly. Then, if someone comes in and drops the anti-Semitism bomb, we can just fire off a copy of my essay. I'll post it as soon as I've finished it.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home