Saturday, July 08, 2006

All the kids are wearing them

I can't keep up with how fucking weird the world is getting.

Apparently unaware that the US gives Israel $2.2 billion in military aid per year -- much of which rains down on them bombs and artillery shells -- the newest fashion forward trend among Palastinians these days is the chic, olive-drab look of US Army wear knock-offs; a "symbol of strength."
Wearing a green Hamas headband, waving a Hamas flag, swinging a Kalashnikov and chanting for Israel's demise, Bassem Shorah looks to be a prototypical Palestinian militant.

His olive green shirt, however, tells a different story. It's a spot-on replica of those worn by soldiers in the United States Army, replete with combat patches and unit designations.

Though he's a committed Islamist activist in a movement that denounces the United States for supporting Israel and occupying Iraq, Shorah proudly sports what has become the latest trend in Palestinian street wear: US military apparel.

"This is the new fashion in the market," says Shorah. "It's a show of force, because the US army is powerful. It's a symbol of strength and of our refusal to put down arms."
The message being, the friend of my enemy is ... really, really cool! I wanna be just like him.

[via
Margot B World News]

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

I read this story and had a similar reaction to your own. What the fuck....

However, I fear it's our age.

At Xmas I pointed out to one of my nephews that his shoelaces were undone.

The look he gave me was one of both pity and contempt that I could be so unfashionable as not to recognise the "statement" he was making.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If only the guns would come undone.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home