Saturday, June 09, 2007

Brutal as we can be

As I am occasionally wont to do, I wandered over to Jim Kunstler's site and had a look at his latest "eyesore of the month" offering. Kunstler presents this monthly ode to the worst that modern architecture has to offer. But the current prize winner is so remarkable, I had to pop it up here myself.


Designed by Randall Stout Architects and glued onto the hillside by forces yet unestablished, their infomercial describes this brutalist monstrosity thusly,
Drawing from the natural setting of the site, the architects developed a building design that embodies a contemporary interpretation of the rock outcroppings and strata within the cliff below, while the undulating forms of the roof reflect the dynamic movements of the neighboring river.
Indeed, apart from an uncanny resemblance to the installation of the Guns of Navarone, what manner of lout cannot feel the evocation of "the neighboring river" from the "undulating forms of the roof." I know I can. Look at how it just blends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure that`s not one of our new radar-evading stealth destroyers that somehow accidentally ran ashore? I think it`s Mike Fallon`s old ship. This deserves closer scrutiny.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

Oh my Gawd! The people in the building behind this must surely be going to court about this?

I once read a book that said you should pick a house according to how the one across the street looks, since that's the one you are going to be seeing.

1:11 AM  
Blogger theBhc said...

anonymous,

I agree. It does look rather suspicious.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All it needs is a Pontiac Aztek in the driveway.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home