Saturday, February 24, 2007

Renewed alliance

A stink rose from the inner city streets of London in 2003 when authorities there introduced a surcharge to drive in a limited part of the city. American diplomats, citing diplomatic immunity from what they claimed was a tax, have refused to pay the charge and London currently claims that the US Embassy now owes about $1.95 million in London driving fees. Mayor Ken Livingstone has called the American ambassador, Robert H. Tuttle, a "chiseling little crook."

Recently, London expanded the driving fee zone and it now includes the French Embassy. Despite silence on the part of the French regarding the fee or the American ambassador's position, French diplomats have allied themselves with the United States. Said one French diplomat:
The situation has changed.
Indeed it has. It now affects them.

1 Comments:

Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

Damn that déjà vu.

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.


by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home