Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Blogroll heads up

I'd like to give a shout out to a couple of blogs I have been exposed to through the Torture Awareness campaign. I've enjoyed reading some top notch work at both the Osterely Times and misneach, whose work has appeared in Asia Times (a fine article here). Many of those on the Torture Awareness campaign blogroll are unknown to me and I intend on checking out as many as I can.

Another thing about this blogroll that I do find bothersome is the fact that not one "big blog" has shown up there. My Left Wing, of course, is a biggy but upon going over there, there is barely a mention of the campaign other than some miniscule link buried in amongst a zillion other blogroll links on the site. And, no, none of those blogrolled in the campaign appear there as result of the campaign. I always find it frustrating when big blogs do shit like this and it merely reinforces the homeostatic nature of the current blog establishment. It may not have been done consciously, but O'Connor should correct this and make the campaign a prominent feature. O'Connor benefits from her site appearing on everyone else's blogroll and does so without reciprocation. C'mon Mary Scott, you know better than that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Thanks for the nod. Much appreciated.

3:48 AM  
Blogger elendil said...

Re the My Left Wing thing:- The rules are only that you talk about torture in June and link to the Torture Awareness Month site, which Maryscott has done. Of course I want to promote the alliance itself as much as possible, but the true goal is the June campaign.

Many of you have put the entire blogroll up, for which I am very grateful. I think that those of us who are heavily involved will see who puts in the most effort, and reciprocate accordingly.

I think you've heard my thoughts on the blog establishment before. Part of me is glad that we haven't been Atrioslaunched, because as soon as that happens, we'll be mobbed by the same old blogs that everyone's seen.

I've been delighted to find new resources on the roll. There's a lot of people out there who contribute a lot more to the debate than a link and an "Indeed". I'm going to be highlighting them in the weeks to come.

We've got an incredibly diverse bunch with valuable things to say. I wouldn't want them being drowned out by the stale old crew. And in the unlikely event that it does get picked up by a Big Name, I'll personally see to it that those who were there from the beginning get their due. Especially the first few. It's easy to jump on board when everyone's doing it -- but it's the first ones that build the momentum that really determine the success of the project.

8:04 PM  
Blogger misneach said...

SORRY SORRY SORRY

I need to point out that the bits I have on my blog from The Asia Times are not stories written by me: Each news report that says "from" or "C/O" was taken from another news source, and I cannot claim any responsibility for the content. My intention in highlighting those specific stories are in fact to provide a different perspective from the one we get from the "news" media in the west.

However, all other content (not specifically attributed to another news source) is the work of the blog author, and his work alone.

I would like to thank you immensily for your kind words about my writing. I have added (today) my reaction to yesterday's American news conferences, and additional factual details on them (as the actual news conferences were blatantly lacking in fact) will also be added later.

Again thank you for your knid words, and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Best Regards,
Misneach

9:08 AM  
Blogger theBhc said...

Hi Elendil,

I appreciate your comment. Though I may have sounded bitchy about the link reciprocation, that really wasn't what bothered me. It was the fact that I could not find any mention of the campaign on the site at all. At least not when I looked.

Like you, I am not concerned with whether "the stale old crew" discusses torture or not but I would like to see them at least acknowledge the campaign. I don't expect that to happen at this point.

12:01 PM  
Blogger theBhc said...

Misneach,

No problem. That was a great article.

cheers

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home